- Characterization of Mechanical Properties using Nanoindentation and AFM
Suitable selection of Nanoindentation (NI) or AFM (atomic force microscope) force curve method enables us to evaluate mechanical properties from soft to hard materials. Nanoindentation test can be also performed under high temperature. These methods are applicable for the clues of degradation or adhesion as well as basic characterization of materials.
- Evolved gas analysis for an adhesive in the curing process
The problem in curing process (e.g. contamination in apparatus, bubbles) can be attributed to the evolved gases from an adhesive. Temperature Programmed Desorption - Mass Spectrometer (TPD-MS) method is applied for the evolved gas analysis (EGA) from an adhesive in curing process.
- Pore size evaluation by positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy
Positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy (PALS) is a measurement method for sub-nm ～ nm scale pore size distribution of polymer, inorganic, semiconductor, metal etc.. Positron beam equipment is useful for thin films on substrates as well as bulk materials.
- What can be obtained using GPC except the molecular weight? - molecular size, branch, composition distribution -
Gel Permeation Chromatography （GPC）/ Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC) is the powerful tool to obtain molecular weight distribution and estimate values of average molecular weight. Additionally, combined use of various detectors (e.g., DLS, MALS, VISCO) enables to obtain the molecular size in solution and estimate the branching ratio, analyze the composition distribution of copolymer.
- Application of Ionic Liquid to SEM Observation
Ionic liquid (IL) is a kind of salt that stays in a molten state even at room temperature. It does not vaporize in vacuum and facilitates electrical conductivity for observations with a scanning electron microscope (SEM). Substituting IL for water in samples, IL can keep sample morphology without serious deforming, even loosing water in the SEM. Following shows observation of reverse osmosis (RO) membrane and kelp using IL. This study was supported by “Mega-ton Water System” in FIRST program.
- Eluted materials from PVC sheet during chemical-resistant test, and its degradation
Desorption of additives and degradation of polymer occur when plastic products contact to various liquids, such as a water and organic solvents. Consequently some components are eluted in the liquid. LC/MS/MS and spectroscopic techniques are powerful tools for qualitative and quantitative analysis of the eluted materials, and they could bring information on mechanisms of yellow discoloration.
- Highly sensitive analysis of odorous component in gas
The online concentration system combined with GC can transfer odorous volatiles (number of C in Alkane > 2) desorbed from a sample into the GC column, and consequently can lower detection limit. The application to estimating odorous components desorbed from sulfuric compounds is presented.
- Organic composition analysis
Composition analysis of various chemical products is possible by applying high level separation techniques and appropriate analytical methods with wealth of experiences. A procedure of organic composition analysis and application results on various industrial materials are introduced.
- Organic Structural Analysis Using High Resolution GC/MS
High resolution GC/TOF-MS enables us to calculate the elemental compositions of individual compounds. The field ionization (FI) method is also useful in structural analysis, as it yields molecular ions clearly.
- Composition Analysis of foreign substances by Laser Raman spectroscopy
- Composition analysis of nanometer size foreign particles
TRC has more than 35 years experience of failure analysis and trouble shooting in many industrial products. Recent development of analytical methods combined with our sophisticated micro-sampling techniques have enabled composition analysis of micro- and nano- size foreign particles and contaminants in such as semiconductors and display devices.
- Determination of Stress Distribution in Polymeric Materials by Raman Spectroscopy
Linear correlation has been found between the applied stress and Raman band shift of Polycarbonate materials by 4-point bending test. The stress correlation coefficient has been successfully applied to determine the micron order stress distribution of the joined region in a small polymeric screw.
- Fine Structure of Polymer Materials by X-ray Diffraction (Mapping Method)
Crystal structure effects various properties of polymer materials, for example strength, heat resistance and fragility. Micro-X-ray diffraction measurement is a useful tool to identify position dependencies of crystalline and orientation of the materials for improving manufacturing processes and clarifying trouble factors.
- Hardening or cross-linking of resins, Evaluating degradation of polymers
- Instrumental analysis for the elimination of foreign substance
Foreign substances in manufacturing process result in defective product and complains from customers. It is quite important to identify the cause of foreign substance to improve the process. Foreign substances are various in form and composition, from organics, inorganics and their mixture, and possesses different size ranging from several micrometer to millimeter. In order to obtain precise composition of the foreign substance, we have been developing sample preparation techniques, applying various instrumental apparatus and improving and expanding our original database. Case examples are shown below.
- Introduction of Solid-state NMR and Determining component ratio of polymers
- Nanoscale chemical imaging of multilayer coating film using AFM-IR
- Surface Analysis by TOF-SIMS
TOF-SIMS is one of the most sensitive technique for the surface analysis. It is widely used for the troubleshooting related to the surface or the interface of devices, the component analysis of small areas or thin layers, and so on.
- Outgas analysis
- Phase separation analysis by the various microscopes method of polyurethane
Analysis of phase separation of soft and hard segments in polyurethane resin is possible by TEM observation and the AFM phase imaging. Furthermore, the identification of hard segment is enabled by STEM-EDX elemental map of N element.
- Rheological Characterization of soft materials using the multifunctional rheometer
The rheological character specified by a stress-strain relationship, can be conveniently determined with a rheometer. Using the multifunctional rheometer, the gelation process of a rapid curable epoxy resin, the extensional viscosity of molten polymers, etc. are investigated.
- The technical progress of measurement of molecular weight distribution of polymers
Using Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC), the average molecular weight (MW) and the molecular weight distribution (MWD) of polymers can be obtained. Multi-detector GPC enables us to obtain not only MW but also chemical composition, molecular size, intrinsic viscosity.
- What to do, if plastics component has broken -Cause analysis approaches-
The scenes, which need cause analysis of destruction and damage at the time of the use in the plastic parts, are increasing. We introduce here an approach example of analyzing a damage cause versatility by applying the most suitable technique on the basis of the characteristics of various plastic materials.
- microGPC fractionation system
- XPS analysis using the GCIB etching
The sample damage during the GCIB (Gas cluster ion beam) etching is very small, so depth profile analyses of organic materials are possible by using the GCIB etching. In addition, the GCIB etching is effective as the method of cleaning organic contamination on the inorganic material surface.
- MALDI-MS -principle and application-
- To control adhesion, lubrication and friction freely ! - Approach from the interfacial characterization -
In designing a component, a device and a product, the interfacial characterization of the variety materials are an important parameter for securement of the durability, reliability and material selection. We mainly introduce here important factor, analytical method and practical approach example to adhesion between the surface of liquid and a solid matter.
- Water content measurement using Karl Fischer method, TPD-MS and GC
To obtain a reliable water content, Karl Fischer (KF) method, Temperature Programmed Desorption - Mass Spectroscopy (TPD-MS) and Gas chromatography (GC) can be applied. It is important to select an appropriate method depending on sample features (e.g. size, composition or state).
- For realization of more accurate thermal design
In thermal design, in order to reduce the deviation between the temperature distribution of the device during operation and the results of the heat transfer calculations, the exact model and accurate properties are required. The best way for realizing the optimal thermal design are to apply a suitable technique for measuring the thermophysical property values of used material, furthermore, to be evaluate the heat release characteristics of an actual device.
- Thermogravimetry-Differential thermal analysis (TG-DTA) measurements under various atmosphere
Specialized TG-DTA measurement system, which perform under the humidity controlled moisture or reduced pressure, is the powerful tool to clarify the weight change and thermal behavior of a material under the various practical use environment, which can not be investigated using usual TG-DTA measurement system.
- To investigate the physical properties of the surface - Measurement techniques of surface property -
In the measurement of the pore size distribution, specific surface area and water vapor adsorption characteristics, it is important to select the appropriate measurement techniques in accordance with surface chemical state and pore size.
- Latest IR spectroscopy with sub-micron spatial resolution
Optical Photothermal IR Spectroscopy (O-PTIR) enables the infrared measurement with a high spatial resolution of less than 1 μm. It can be applied to analyze the composition of small foreign substances, the interface composition of multi-layered samples, and even water containing sample.